Photographic Categories

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Magna Bound

I'm headed to Muncie, Indiana this weekend to attend Magna Cum Murder. This is an annual conference sponsered by Ball State University. This will be my second conference as a published writer and in many ways, I'm more excted about this one than the Mother of Mystery Conferences, Bouchercon. Why?

Well, mainly every author that I know that is familiar with Magna has said the same thing. They love it. There won't be 1,400 people like Bouchercon, more like 250. There won't be 400 authors, more like 30. It's a chance to connect with other authors, readers and aspiring writers.

An interesting tidbit is that we all had homework to do prior to the conference. Everyone was asked to read Bratt Farrar by Josephine Tey and be ready to discuss it. Of course, there is preparing for the panels. At Bouchercon, the mantra for the panels was to relax and have fun. At Magna, there is a purpose beyond getting to know authors, people are there to learn and I don't take that responsibility lightly. I put myself in the shoes I wore over the past years and I know what I expected for my hard-earned money.

I've drawn 3 assignments: Debut authors, Plotting the Mystery and a group discussion on Do You Need a Hollywood Ending?

Right now, Barbara D'Amato and Austin Comacho and I are corresponding on the Plotting the Mystery discussion. We want it to be an interactive session were we guide the class through the plotting of a mystery.

I'll be reporting back with pictures, hopefully next week. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Jake Nantz said...

Good luck Mr. Bereswill. Sounds like a more intimate setting, but still a lot of fun!

Wilfred Bereswill said...

Jake, Thanks for the visit. You know, getting published was an experience like none other. If I can help someone else achieve that feeling, I would be thrilled.

Take care.

Sara J. Henry said...

Wilfred, it's Brat Farrar (one T) - my absolute favorite of the Josephine Tey books - must confess I read it several times when younger!

Wilfred Bereswill said...

Sara, thanks for stopping by and yes, my bad, it is Brat.

While definitely not a book I would have read without the conference requesting it, I did enjoy the book.

Now, with that said, it certainly doesn't conform to current thinking for mysteries/suspense/thrillers. We are told over and over, don't start with backstory and the first two to four chapters is just that, backstory. First we learn what has happened at Latchetts, then we get a paragraph of story as Loding propostions Brat, then we get a dose of Brat's backstory.

I think it's proof that we don't need to necessarily conform to the rules if the story and the writing are spectacular.