Photographic Categories

Monday, October 13, 2008

Bouchercon 2008 - Charmed to Death

I just got back from my first Bouchercon in Baltimore. It also happened to be my first conference as a published author. For those of you that don't know about Bouchercon, it is THE Conference for Mystery and Suspense. The estimate was between 1,400 and 1,800 people attended this weekend. There were probably 300 to 400 authors there as well.

Being a newly published author and being published by a small press put me near the bottom of the food chain, but you would never know it. The established authors there were fabulously supportive. Let me name drop: Lee Child, Harlen Coben, Laura Lippman, John Lutz, Lawrence Block, Karin Slaughter, Barry Eisler, and many more.


Lee Child


Harlen Coben

So, I walk to the registration desk and the first person I meet is the lovely Annette Dashofy. While you may not know Annette, she is one of my co-bloggers on The Working Stiffs blog. She took me in to see Joyce Tremel, the keeper of the Working Stiffs.


The lovely ladies at my side are Annette Dashofy and Joyce Tremel

Another "First" for me was a panel at a writers conference. Even though our panel was up against Laura Lippman and Lauri King, we pulled in about 150 people. I obsessed about it all the way until I had to introduce myself. As usual when I present, I went on autopilot. I don't remember much about it, other than I managed to answer all the questions and even got a few laughs.


I'm at the far right.

After the panel, I went to the book signing room, along with all the other authors that gave panels during that time slot. Laura Lippman's line was out the door. I was warned not to get upset if I didn't sell any books. Well, I sold 4. That's 4 more than I anticipated, so I was good. Even though I had to guilt someone in Laura Lippman's line to buy one. I was good with that too.

There were ups and downs for me. I went from awe, to overwhelmed, to wondering what the hell I was doing there. I've got to tell you, I was never surrounded by a better group of people. Everybody there, from reader to the biggest author names made me feel like I belonged. I had real nice conversations with Lee Child and Harlan Coben. The group at Murderati, one of the premiere mystery author blogs welcomed me like one of the gang. Let's see, there was J.D. Rhoades, Pari Noskin Taichert, Louise Ure, Robert Gregory Browne, Brett Battles, Zoƫ Sharp and Alex Sokoloff.


Murderati Gang

Also some of the Good Girls Kill for Money were there. I never really saw them all together, but they are such a lovely group. I missed Laura Bradford and Diana Killian.


Sara Rosett and Regina Harvey


Tasha Alexander

Then there were The First Offenders. Lori G. Armstrong, Alison Gaylin, Bryon Quartermous and Karen Olsen. I was having a blast at the bar with Lori and Brett when Harlan Coben strolled up and Heather Grahm and Scott Miller and Janet Reid and my buddy, Lee Lofland. Lee Child was in the bar... Well, it was a gathering of some of the best authors and best people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.


Alison Gaylin Somehow I didn't get a picture with Lori Armstrong.

Of course I have to thank my wife Linda for keeping me company when I needed it and keeping herself occupied when I was busy hobnobbing.


My beautiful wife Linda.

10 comments:

Tasha Alexander said...

It was so great to meet you live and in person! Still regretting I hadn't brought my copy of your book to have you sign!

Anonymous said...

Will,
I agree with Tasha.

It was wonderful to meet you in person.

I'm glad you had such a good experience. May it be the first of many!

Pari (who has a difficult time remembering if she has an account here or not . . .)

Wilfred Bereswill said...

It's a shame to have to wait another year to see everyone again. Thanks, Tasha and Pari for stopping by.

JD Rhoades said...

Great meeting you, and your lovely wife, Will! See you 'round the playground.

Wilfred Bereswill said...

Thanks Dusty. Like I told you in the bar. The tales of JD Rhoades at Bouchercon were legendary.

Joyce Tremel said...

Nice post, Will! Glad to have finally met you in person!

Annette said...

Aw, Will, I'm blushing.

Sorry to sound so unoriginal, but it really was great to meet you and Linda. Now we need to get the two of you to come visit us in Pittsburgh. Three words for you: Festival of Mystery.

Wilfred Bereswill said...

I guess it was fate that the first people I ran into at Bouchercon was Annette and Joyce. Keep me posted on the Festival of Mystery.

Jake Nantz said...

Mr. Bereswill,
Man, it sounds like you had a great time. More than anything, it was encouraging to read that your wife had a good time as well. As much as a conference is important for your career, and an opportunity to meet the down-to-earth coolness that makes up the mystery-writing community, it also has to be a pretty unique "vacation" of sorts for the two of you. Hope my wife and I get to meet you there next year.

Oh, and I love the grin on your face holding that first copy of your book. You look exactly like I would expect it to feel. Congrats on the book (belatedly) and on a great trip to B'con!

Wilfred Bereswill said...

Jake,

Thanks for stopping by. All these "Firsts" are things to remember. I tried not to act like a teenage girl at a Jonas Brothers Concert while walking the halls of the hotel, but it's hard when you see some of the names on the tags.

Hell, I was thrilled to see my book on the shelf of a library last week.